Compiling with IFC 11 Delete
Please follow these instructions step by step and until the end:
Creating a new project
- Make sure you have installed in your computer Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and Intel Fortran Compiler 11.0. If you don’t have both installed, please install them.
- Open Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.
- Select "New Project".
- Select Intel® Visual FORTRAN Projects and "Console Application" . Select an empty project and name the project, for example, "MohidWater". Select the location and Click OK.
- An empty project is created. Get all FORTRAN code files from SourceSafe and add them to the project. Right-click in the Source Files folder (in the project tree), and select "Add...Add Existing Item...". Add all the files containing the modules.
- Get all the libraries needed from source safe in Libs\IntelFortran11.x (by F®ank). Note that the Intel compiler use different HDF5 libraries than the Compaq compiler.
Release and Debug settings
Please follow the steps below and set them EXACTLY as they are presented. Do not make additional changes in the settings unless you’re testing some optimizations. Note that settings under "Debug" and "Release" configurations are slightly different. You can select "Release" configuration and apply this settings first and then do the same for "Debug" configuration or select "All configurations".
- Now select "Project...Properties" and start editing your compilation settings.
- In "Fortran...General", set "Supress Startup Banner" to "Yes", define the path to the folder where the HDF5 libraries will be placed in the "Additional Include Directories" text box (local folder of Libs\IntelFortran11.x\HDF_1.6.8\Include from source safe). Also set "Optimization" to "Maximize Speed plus Higher Level Optimizations".
- In "Fortran...Optimization" define "I/O Buffering" to Yes.
- In "Fortran...Preprocessor" set "Preprocessor Source File" to Yes and define again, in the Additional Include Directories text box, the path to the folder where the HDF5 libraries will be placed (local folder of Libs\IntelFortran11.x\HDF_1.6.8\Include from source safe).
- In "Fortran...Diagnostics", set "Warn For Non-Standard Fortran" to "Fortran 95". Also, set the "Warn For Undeclared Symbols" to "Yes", "Warn For Unused Variables" to "Yes" and "Warn When Truncating Source Code Line" to "Yes".
- In "Linker...General", set "Enable Incremental Link" to "No" and "Supress Startup Banner" to "Yes". In the Additional Include Directories text box, set the path to i) the folder where the HDF5 libraries will be placed (local folder of Libs\IntelFortran11.x\HDF_1.6.8\Lib) ii) the folder where the SZlib libraries will be placed (local folder of Libs\IntelFortran11.x\SZlib_2.1\dll) and iii) the folder where the Zlib libraries will be placed (local folder of Libs\IntelFortran11.x\Zlib_1.2\dll). Note that the 3 paths are separated by ;
- In "Linker.. Input", write down the names of the libraries in the "Additional Dependencies" text box. The names for the 2008 Visual Studio integration are:
hdf5.lib hdf5_fortran.lib hdf5_f90cstub.lib zlib1.lib szlibdll.lib
Specific Debug settings
Select the "Debug" configuration and change the following settings groups:
- In "Fortran...General", ser "Debug Information Format" to "Full" and "Optimization" to "Disable".
- In "Fortran...Optimization", set "Optimization" to "Disable".
- In "Linker.. Input", in "Ignore Additional Libraries" write down LIBCMT.lib
- Select "Build...Build Solution"
Optional compilation settings
- To perform optional compilation, just add the compilation pre-processor keywords in "Properties...Fortran...PreProcessor", in the "Preprocessor Definitions" text box.
Some modules can be completely excluded from compilation. If your simulations do not use these modules you can use this pre-processor keywords.
_LAGRANGIAN_ excludes Modules Lagrangian + Jet + Oil _AIR_ excludes Modules InterfaceWaterAir + Atmosphere _WAVES_ excludes Module Waves _SEDIMENT_ excludes Modules SedimentProperties + Consolidation
Other keywords can also be used.
_USE_MPI includes MPI code _SHORT_LINE_LENGTH sets line_length = 64 (default line_length is 256) _LONG_LINE_LENGTH sets line_length = 1024(default line_length is 256) _GUI_ includes GUI code